Friday, May 16, 2008

Maybe Elmer Fudd should drive a car

Last Monday the guy with the big tiller came to Casa de ssminnow7 to work up my garden. Tuesday I planted 2 cucumber plants, 4 jalapeno plants and 16 tomato plants. Wednesday I consulted the dude with the best tomatoes (his ALWAYS looks so great!) to get his advice on the best ways to fertilize and stake up my garden. Friday I mowed, and while I went around my garden I found this:

Photobucket

I don't know what the Chinese calendar says, but as far as I'm concerned it's the Year of the Rabbit. There have been bunnies-a-plenty in my neighborhood. Normally, Lance (our golden retriever) keeps them our of our yard by his mere presence. But this year the numbers are too great, which must make them bold. I've even see them eating some of the clover which grows in the area where Lance does his business (weed killing - yet another job I need to get done this week!). He knows it, too, because he darts to the area every time I let him out.

This morning Lance and I were taking our morning walk. We typically cross a fairly busy country road to go to our church to make a lap or two around the property. Today we found not one but 2 rabbit roadkills that weren't there last night. My guess is that they got a little too bold. Or they suck at Frogger.

Either way, maybe Elmer Fudd should invest in an SUV...

Photobucket

6 comments:

Dory said...

Dude! Lookie here!!!!!

I knew if I gave you a mental prod in the arse you'd feel guilty enough to post!! lol (j/k!)
I am tickled pink to see it here and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the frogger link! I know what I will be doing in my free time this afternoon! lol
I'm sorry about the garden stuff though - it is sooo much work and it sucks when the rabbits undermine all your effort! What is that they say about putting human hair around so the scent scares them off? (No, I don't mean YOURS - unless that shampoo stuff actually worked ;o) but maybe next time the barber shop can save you some.) Or wait... is that for deer, not rabbits?

Anonymous said...

Chris!! Welcome back! I think Dory is thinking about tiger ummmmm stuff that you can get at the zoo to put around your garden. That will keep lots of things out, but usually it's done for keeping deer out. There has been lots of roadkill lately.. I guess it's the season! Good luck.. I LOVE home grown tomatoes.. I'm hanging mine this year to see if I can prevent such catastrophe's..
hugs,
Jean

Becca said...

You know that Elmer would have to be driving an environmentally friendly SUV and it would have to have little sensors on it so that the bunnies have fair warning that it is coming! Now how is that for politically correct? :-)

Glad to see that you are blogging!

~Becca

Caffeinated Librarian said...

Welcome back, dude! You've been missed.

Got no suggestions for the bunnies. But I have a blog where you can maybe share your pain with a fellow gardener - http://mercenarygardens.blogspot.com/search?q=rabbits

*sigh* I always sucked a Frogger. Turns out that I still do. *sigh*

Malathionman said...

A lot of people I know that have tomatos have the best luck when they just ignore them, like your blog! :)

bwmson said...

I suggest using a big airhorn.

They help with everything.