Friday, October 26, 2007

In Through the Out Door

No, it's not a Led Zeppelin post.  But their album provided the best title for this quick entry.

I had a colonoscopy last week.

Colonoscopy.

Nothing but a screening.  My brother Ronnie died from colon cancer 30 years ago this month at age 33.  Since the age of 30, doctors have suggested that I have a screening because of family history.  Like most people, volunteering for a 3 foot long tube with a camera to be shoved up your kiester was not how I wanted to spend a morning.  Not to mention the colon prep activities the day before (Harry in Mary Swanson's bathroom from Dumb and Dumber comes to mind).  But recent events have caused me to think a little more about my health and future.  Plus Prudence and I met our insurance deductible for the year.  So getting the colon flush and anal probe only cost me 10% of the total bill, which eased the pain in my...well, you know.  It's also been a great source of jokes at work.  One of my favorites was Rudiger creating an Outlook appointment on everyone's calendar entitled "Chris' First Colonoscopy".  Location of the "meeting", you ask?  In the butt, of course.

I'm happy to report that for the most part, everything was clean (or as clean as a colon can be).  There were 2 small, pinhead-sized polyps that they were able to remove via a "cold snatch".  The good news is that they don't need to see me for 5 years.  The bad news is that I need to go back in 5.  Actually, the procedure was not bad at all.  The colon pre-treatment didn't keep me up all night like I thought it might.  And I didn't walk out of the doctor's office like I'd been riding a horse all day :) 

In the "end", a pretty successful day.

6 comments:

bwmson said...

Hey, buddy.

I had the roto rooter treatment several years ago.

Glad the results were good.

Have a great weekend.

weimie said...

Seems like everyone I know is having this done lately ....I'm feeling sooooo left out. :o(

Nah, not really.

Aynde said...

What! No Pictures?! *laughs*

Glad to hear that everything looked as good as a colon could look. Did Prudence go with you and hold your hand??
StudHombre would NEVER let me go with him for such a thing. I'd be laughing the whole time.

I looked at the map and I noticed that I could throw a rock at central Illinois from where we'll be in Kentucky. We'll be in Owensboro. Right on the border between Indiana and KY. *smiles*

Malathionman said...

Don't forget to let us know when you have your prostate examined!

weimie said...

You'd think I would have been creative enough for a name but sadly... I was not. I called him "Monkey"... plain and simple. And I thought he was perfect at the time... I never thought he was ugly, sinister or creepy until I dug him outta the cedar chest he's been in for the last hundred years!

weimie said...

Merry Christmas Chris, to you and your family!

I miss your presence here in blogland. But I understand. This will likely be a rough holiday for you - know that I will be praying for you.

Love,
weimie